Poly cystic syndrome or PCOD is found in many women in their reproductive years between the age of 12 to 45. Cysts which develop in the area of the ovary before or after the menopause. It can be a threat to fertility if not treated at the right time.
Major causes of PCOD
As we understand the full form of pcod as poly cystic ovarian disorder, it is a condition occurring due to ovarian dysfunction and that means it stops releasing eggs. It is what anovulation known for and it is caused by:
- Choosing an improper diet.
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Obesity and lack of physical activity
- Excessive rise in male androgen hormone levels.
These above mentioned causes irregularity in periods and stops releasing female hormones and eggs on time. As a result, many women find difficulty in conceiving naturally and look for other alternative reproductive methods or hormonal therapy which may be:
- And cause side effects.
However, disclosing your issues related to PCOD to any gynocologist can help in understanding the causes in a better way and finding appropriate solutions.
PCOD Signs or Symptoms
As already stated, PCOD develops at an early age and that is at the initial stage of menstruation. Further in the later age, the PCOD problem makes the women suffer from unhealthy fats.
What are the major PCOD problem symptoms?
- Absence of periods : Some of the female patients have been diagnosed with less than nine months of periods. This is the usual sign of PCOD.
- Excessive bleeding: As the irregularity of periods occurs, excess blood gets accumulated in the uterine wall. It does lead to heavier bleeding.
- Skin problem: Acne is found with females whose periods are not regular. It is the result of a rise in male hormones and releases oil and as a result it gets transformed into acne.
- Hirsutism: It is the hair growth that appears on the face, back, stomach and chest.
- Obesity : Most of the overweight females happen to suffer from cysts in their ovaries.
- Baldness : Hair getting thinner on the scalp and that makes many females suffer from hair loss.
- Headaches: It does make the female go through worse situations.
- Skin turning dark: It makes the skin of a female darker in the areas of pelvis and neck.
Consequences due to PCOD
- Inability to conceive any child: Due to rise in PCOD problem, one experiences lack of occurrence of ovulation in the body. And that causes difficulty in conceiving any child.
- Diabetic conditions : With the result of accumulation of fats in the body as a consequence of PCOD, one does not feel good and so suffers from diabetic conditions.
- Heart complications: Rising blood pressure causing a tendency of heart disorder.
- Thickening of the lining of the uterus: As the ovulation gets delayed and so does the endometrium thickens. It does make the woman suffer from endometrial cancer.
- Depression : The hormonal imbalance makes the female suffer anxiety and depression.
Does PCOD condition happen before or after marriage?
Pcod problem before marriage
If it is noticed before the marriage then it can be due to the situation when the ovary starts abnormally producing eggs.
Pcod problem after marriage
It can affect any female post marriage due to stress and abnormal lifestyle conditions.
Understanding the differences between PCOD and PCOS
1. Basic difference - Polycystic ovarian disease is what PCOD stands for and PCOS is poly cystic ovarian syndrome.
Poly cystic ovarian disease relates to release of androgens in the ovaries. On the contrary, PCOD is the release of eggs from the ovaries.
2. Influence on the fertility of the female: PCOD may not have as much negative impact on the female in terms of fertility. It may cause late pregnancy.
In the same way, PCOS can cause miscarriage and early birth of a child.
3. Health complications : Polycystic ovarian disease does not cause as much health complications as PCOS
There can be health disorders like the heart problem, high blood sugar and high pressure in case of the female suffering from polycystic ovarian disease.
4. Method of treatment followed : Hormonal therapy is used for healing PCOS. On the contrary, females suffering from PCOD can get attended to with lifestyle changes.
5. Number of cases : Compared to PCOS, the number of cases of poly cystic ovarian disease patients are more. Such patients are at 22.5 % in contrast to 9% of PCOS patients.
Medicaments for PCOD
PCOD problem treatment medicine is the same for PCOS at allopathic level. Initially, there is a requirement of diagnosis for both the cases.
Medical diagnosis involves the examination in the pelvic area and other parts of the body. And it also involves blood tests and ultrasound.
There is no permanent cure for pcod or pcos but with the help of proper diet and exercise, one can see positive changes.
There is indeed a ray of hope with the ayurvedic treatment.
PCOS and PCOD treatment in Ayurved
There are some herbs used since the ancient period for recovering from infertility problems or symptoms. Such herbs are ashoka, lodhra, bahera, salai, udumbera and punarnava. Each of these herbs have anti inflammatory, revitalizing and anti-aging properties.
Using the combination of such herbs, one gets rid of PCOD and PCOS. You will experience following recovery signs like :
- Controlling the excess uterine bleeding.
- Managing the development of cysts in the ovary by regulating the periods.
- Minimizing the blood sugar level.
- Bringing control over obesity.
- Promoting hormonal balance.
- Stimulating the chances of conceiving naturally.
- Not causing any side effects.
Method of dosage of Nari Jeevan Jyoti
You must use it as per the direction of the physician.
Other home remedies of PCOD
There are other simple ways to manage the PCOS or PCOD and restore reproductive health. Instead of going for periodic hormonal therapy and ovulation induction medication, any woman must opt for sugar free and low fat diet. You can have kale, spinach and broccoli. You can also consume fatty salmon, berries , virgin olive oil and non starchy vegetables.
Adding spices like cinnamon and turmeric in the food will break the toxic fats accumulated anywhere in the body and bring relief from rising sugar and obesity. Moreover, practicing specific yoga asanas on a regular basis will definitely make women fit and healthy. There are two yoga postures which can help in balancing the PCOD or PCOS symptoms naturally and not causing any side effects.
Garland Pose asana
It is by keeping the spine straight and bending the shoulder down and sitting in a squat position by not letting your buttocks touch the ground. You will then fold your hands and will be in that position for at least 5 minutes.
It is a yoga position wherein you will be practicing lying down like a corpse for another 5 minutes. You must be in a meditative posture for 5 minutes.
Polycystic ovarian disease in short form known as PCOD affects the women who are not leading a healthy lifestyle. They are going to miss their periods or may be suffering from scanty periods. Irregularity in the periods can cause problems like growth of fibroids in the ovary or uterus and can cause excessive uterine bleeding. To diagnose the exact causes of irregularity of periods, you can get in touch with the gynecologist. However, instead of relying on hormone replacement therapy or scientific strategy for recovery, you can use the natural herbs and home made diet for recovery from infertility symptoms.
Q1. What is the main cause of PCOD?
Ans: Poly cystic ovarian disease develops during the reproductive period between 12 and 45 years. Major cause of this disorder is hormonal imbalance. Stress, obesity and dependency on processed foods can be the causes.
Q2. Is PCOD is a serious problem?
Ans: PCOD is actually accumulation of cysts in the ovarian area and can cause irregularity of periods or menstrual cycle and disturb the ovulation process. It can make it difficult for women to conceive naturally. It needs to be managed with healthy dietary conditions and exercise. Otherwise, there can be further life threatening problems like cancer and diabetes.
Q3. What are the symptoms of PCOD?
Ans: The symptoms of pcod problem in females are :
- Excessive uterine bleeding
- Loss of hair or hair thinning on the scalp.
- Hair growth on the face and body.
- Accumulation of fats in the body.
- Depression and stress.
Q4. Is PCOD common in girls?
Ans: Majority of girls are suffering from polycystic ovarian disease or syndrome due to lack of attention to their diet, exercise and depending on fast and processed food items and alcohol drinking and nicotine abuse.
Q5. What is the main reason for PCOD?
Ans: It can vary from one female to another. It can occur either due to hormonal imbalance, stress or obesity.